Life can be stressful and depressing sometimes, and it’s normal to feel down about things that happen in your life. Your brain plays a vital role in interpreting truths, facts, statistics, and things around you.
There are countless depressing, sad facts about life, marine life, animals, humans, and more. But that doesn’t mean that life isn’t worth living!
With that said, let me share tons of sad things about life that will make you cry.
12 Brutal Truths and Sad Facts About Life, Nature and Reality (2022)
Reality may not be reality. life isn’t fair. And human nature is weird!
Let me show you.
Are you fat? Get thing. Are you thin? Get fat!
Don’t you put on makeup? Wear some, don’t be so ugly or outdated! Do you put on makeup? Don’t do it; you’re faking your beauty.
Are you crying? You’re a little too emotional. Are you not crying? You’re a little too cold for humanity!
And it goes on and on. Let me show you more sad facts about life that will make you cry or, at least, very depressed.
- People are losing touch with reality and living in their little bubbles.
- A human head remains conscious for around 20 seconds after being decapitated. Isn’t it a little too scary a truth about life?
- You enjoy being young without knowing it. And then one day, you wake up and notice you aren’t young anymore. The mirror confirms it.
- You are not safe; you only construct its illusion. But then merciless cancer, cold, hard steel, and a thousand other things can shatter it instantly.
- You are not in control; you only pretend to be. But then an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, or any other force of nature can show you who’s really in charge.
- We are headed for a climate change catastrophe and are not doing nearly enough to stop it.
- The world is running out of fresh water and clean air.
- Many people are living paycheck to paycheck, and they can’t seem to break out of the cycle no matter how hard they try.
- We are polluting the air at an unprecedented rate, causing health problems worldwide.
- The Amazon rainforest is being destroyed at an alarming rate.
- Human beings spend more time in their heads than in the real world.
- Most people do charity because they want to feel good!
21 Thought-Provoking and Sad Things About Society and Humans
Many sad facts about humans and society will make you think long and hard about our state. Let the depressing things roll!
- Many people in Japan never leave their bedrooms. They don’t interact with society for many months or even years. That’s called hikikomori, a form of severe social withdrawal.
- It’s more likely that you’ll believe something if it is often repeated.
- Some people don’t consider you a living human being and will treat you as an object.
- An average human spends more time with a machine than a family member, coworker, or friend.
- Over 40 million people are slaves right now.
- If someone has a gun in their home, suicide or accidental shooting becomes 22 times more likely than defending the home from invaders.
- We live in a society where grown-ups rape babies and kids.
- Our educational system is followed by money. The more money you have, the better education you can get.
- There is a lot of child abuse and domestic violence. People are becoming more and more narcissistic. Social media platforms are creating echo chambers where people only see information that supports their existing beliefs.
- Many people live paycheck to paycheck, and one unexpected expense can make them into a tailspin.
- We spend more money on healthcare products like pills and syrups than healthy items like fruits, vegetables, etc.
- Some drivers would rather see you ram into the guard rail than give you an inch of space. Isn’t it a dark truth of our society?
- I know you are a hero in your eyes. But what if you are the bad guy?
- Humans are afraid of change because they focus more on the negative aspects of it than on its potential benefits.
- Women don’t inherit anything from their fathers or their last names.
- People are often judged by their looks and not by their character.
- You can’t change anything about yourself after death, but you can change your life now. Yet people focus too much time on a supposed life after death.
- People would rather suffer than change their beliefs, even when those beliefs are causing them pain. No one dares bitter truth.
- Our ability to communicate on a meaningful level declines as our modes of interaction advance.
- People complain about other people talking about the small stuff! Well, it’s all small stuff. Everything is a little thing.
- We take our kids to malls more than parks.
13 Painfully True Sad Facts About Family, Love, and Relationships
Human beings are weird! We can explain some of the craziest things people do with interesting human psychology facts.
- Children often take their parents for granted. They don’t think to thank or care for them until it’s too late.
- Mobile phones are more important than our babies, family, careers, business, and whatnot!
- Do whatever you can. You will still make mistakes. And people will judge you.
- You will never die of a broken heart or sadness. Instead, you are sentenced to live. Isn’t it a little too sad?
- Your kids can die before you. And you will never be the same again.
- The people you love will disappoint and hurt you. They may not mean to, but they will.
- You can forgive good-looking persons for their crimes, but you cannot overlook petty things done by an unattractive individual.
- The people you love will leave you by choice or death. And you will be left with a hole in your heart.
- You can’t choose your family. You are stuck with them, like it or not.
- Love doesn’t conquer all. It doesn’t even come close.
- You will be alone at some point in your life, whether you want to be.
- There is no such thing as a soulmate. You are just lucky or a little strategic if you find someone who loves and accepts you for who you are.
- Every 13 seconds, someone in the US files for divorce. Read these divorce statistics for more such facts.
9 Disturbing Psychological Facts About Depression & Life
Depression is not just feeling sad. It is a severe mental illness that can take over your life. Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide. Let me share a few painful things about psychological issues, depression, and anxiety.
- 70% of homeless veterans do substance abuse, and 50% suffer from depression and mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
- An estimated 300,000 post-9/11 veterans with psychological issues, such as PTS and TBI.
- In the US, 1 in 5 children suffers from a mental health disorder.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- More people die from suicide than from car accidents.
- Depressed people might not look depressed.
- Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with depression as males.
- Parents were the main perpetrators of child abuse, accounting for 76% of offenders in 2018.
- Only 36% of people with an anxiety disorder receive treatment.
13 Sad Statistics in Life and Depressing Facts About Death
The saddest truth about life is probably death! Or maybe it is meaninglessness. Whatever it is, the list doesn’t stop there. Let me share some more depressing facts about death with you!
- A study shows that happy people live longer lives on average than unhappy people. Yes, even nature prefers happy and strong individuals.
- An estimated 17 million people die from cardiovascular disease each year.
- In 2019, an estimated 5.2 million children under five died, with most fatalities caused by preventable and treatable causes.
- On average, smokers die ten years earlier than nonsmokers.
- Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths in the United States annually, including more than 41,000 deaths from secondhand smoke exposure. That’s 1300 deaths every day.
- In 2020, an estimated 1 million people will die from HIV/AIDS and related diseases.
- There are approximately 155 million orphans in the world today.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- More than 700,000 people die due to suicide every year, according to WHO. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US alone.
- Over 8 million metric tonnes of plastic are dumped annually into the oceans.
- Medical mistakes cause over 44,000 preventable deaths in the US alone, out of which 7000 deaths are caused by bad handwriting.
- Left-handed human beings die three years earlier on average than right-handed ones. Sorry lefties!
- There are over 250 million kids that are forced into hard labor.
5 Sad Facts About Life Below Water aka Marine Life
The sad facts about marine life are ocean pollution, of course. And human beings are the worst polluters! We are making life below water difficult for underwater creatures in unimaginable ways.
Let me share some bad facts about the ocean and marine life.
- By 2050, the UN warns that more plastic will be in the ocean than fish.
- 90% of all seabirds have ingested plastic.
- Marine life cannot survive in dead zones, where the ocean has low oxygen levels. Agricultural sewage and runoff create these areas with a total surface area of over 245,000km².
- 129 billion masks and 65 billion gloves are used and discarded worldwide every month because of COVID-19. And those masks and gloves are dumped into the oceans.
- Ocean pollutants kill over 1 million seabirds, 300,000 porpoises & dolphins, and 100,000 other marine life yearly.
11 Sad Animal Facts About Life That Might Scare You
Animals are perhaps the saddest creatures on this earth. They are often abused, neglected, and forced to live in captivity. The credit goes to human beings!
But wait, it’s not just us; even nature is cruel to them. The animal kingdom is also not spared from the harsh realities of life. These are some disturbing facts about animal life that will make you sad.
- Mother hamsters will sometimes eat their newborn babies. Why? The biggest reason is that they get stressed out. They think they won’t have enough space for all the babies to live.
- When a male bottlenose dolphin is looking for a female to mate, he might find a “single mother” with a calf and kill it. The reason is that the mother is not willing to mate for up to three years if she has a baby.
- Animals from scorpionflies and garter snakes to ducks, geese, bottlenose dolphins, and primates rape. It’s not just human beings!
- Mice can feel that the other mice are sad! Isn’t that sad?
- Cows feel sad when they’re alone. And yet we force them to live in isolation!
- If a female ferret in heat fails to find a mate, she dies.
- In one NFL season, footballs require the hides of over 3,000 cows.
- Over 10 million animals die from abuse or neglect in the US annually. And over 100 million animals are used for lab experimentation.
- Farm animals account for 97% of the tortured and killed animals.
- For no apparent reason, a flock of 5,000 blackbirds once perished in mid-flight.
- Skuas chase other birds until they vomit and then eat the vomit. Gross for you!
And that’s not all; there are many more depressing and sad facts about life, animals, and humans. But I hope this was enough to make you realize how complicated life, reality, or nature can be. Let’s try to make it better for everyone!
FAQs for Sad and Scary Facts About Life (2022)
Time for some frequently asked questions about the sad and scary things, stats, and facts of life!
1/ Is life depressing?
Life is neither depressing nor beautiful. It can be both at different points in time, but it is what you make of it. Scientifically, life is life. Read this Quora answer on why people say life is good when it isn’t!
2/ Who lives the saddest life?
There is no saddest life, but some people have it worse off than others. Many factors can contribute to a tragic life, such as poverty, abuse, neglect, and more.
Do you want an example? Tomasz Liboska is regarded as the saddest person in the world. Other instances include Louis XVII, Henk Heithuis, Sylvia Plath, and the list continues. Read these Quora answers for more.
3/ What is the darker side of human nature?
The darker side of human nature is the part of us capable of terrible things. It is the side capable of violence, hatred, and greed. Many people try to suppress their darker nature, but it lurks beneath the surface.
4/ How long do people feel in love?
According to Dr. Fred Nour, a neurologist in Mission Viejo, California, people’s passion for love lasts no more than two to three years. After that, they just manage their passion. Don’t worry; your case may be different, though!
5/ What animal is the saddest?
There is not just one saddest animal; there are many! These include animals like cows, mice, ducks, and more. They feel sad when they’re alone when they see other animals getting hurt, or when they’re forced to live in captivity.
But if you still want one name, that must be Arturo, the polar bear. Humans recognized him as the “world’s saddest animal” because he was cute yet depressed as hell.
6/ What are some sad human rights facts?
There are many depressing human rights facts, but some are the most saddening. For example, 30 million girls are forced to do domestic work annually. Twenty-eight million people are currently slaves around the world. And the list of sad facts about life, humans, nature, and animals goes on.